The Open Achieves Impressive Digital Fan Engagement Results At Royal Portrush
The Open is celebrating a successful 148th staging of golf's original Championship both on and off The Royal Portrush course, as its digital platform delivered a new level of access for fans during the event.
The new official website, TheOpen.com, designed and developed here at Delete, offered an unprecedented insight to The 148th Open across its four days, for both those in attendance at the Championship in Northern Ireland and the millions following it online around the world.
With TheOpen.com set to a new 'Live Mode', fans were able to access the latest coverage and enjoy up-to-the-minute action from the course as it unfolded, with detailed leaderboards, live data and stats, supplemented by in-depth player information.
This was enhanced by a new Open TV video hub, which featured highlights and interviews as they happened, all underpinned by access to a variety of real time stats and data visualisations, allowing fans to experience golf’s oldest Championship like never before.
The new platform carded impressive year-on-year results during its first Championship:
- Number of sessions per user increased by 15.51% - meaning more fans kept coming back.
- Pageviews increased by 24.06% - fans looked at almost a quarter more content than before.
- Average session duration increased by 55.78% - testament to the unrivalled access and info available.
- More than a quarter of a million sign ups to Live Streaming - more fans engaging with The Open and watching the action unfold online.
- Highest ever future event ticket sales achieved during the championship week.
- More than 20m ad impressions during the tournament - ensuring The Open’s partners got the exposure they required.
“TheOpen.com is a vital component for The Open’s year round brand communication. Our brief for Delete was to ensure we could achieve the twin objectives of delivering the very best user experience for millions around the world who follow The Open during Championship week and to ensure we could optimise the customer journey to deliver a great end-to-end experience for all who decide to attend and those who follow The Open throughout the year.”
“From a business perspective, the ability to understand more about our fans through their interactions on the site is key. Delete have also successfully developed the platform to deliver data insights which support our aim to deliver fans with the most engaging content we can through a mobile first platform.”
To see more on our work for The Open, see the case study here.